BAMER Peer Support Groups
This project is funded by the Maudsley Charity.
Engage in ME
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, our Engage in ME project will continue to run online until further notice – and we are looking to recruit new participants!
What is Engage in ME?
Engage in ME provides mental health and wellbeing support groups to adults from Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and Refugee (BAMER) communities in Lewisham borough to:
- Learn how to manage their own mental health and wellbeing, with a specific current focus on the psychological and emotional needs raised by the current pandemic.
- Find out about and access other relevant, local online support services
- eet, learn and share with other people experiencing mental health difficulties in a welcoming and understanding place
- discuss their cultural needs and how services can support them better.
Engage in ME Online sessions are held weekly, for six weeks at a time, via Zoom. Each weekly session lasts an hour-and-a-half.
Some sessions will also include guest speakers from other local mental health and wellbeing support services.
The groups are for people experiencing low to moderate mental health difficulties.
Week 1: Introduction and focus on Wellbeing
Week 2: Cultural Identity and Wellbeing
Week 3: Understanding Your Mental Health
Week 4: Self-Care
Week 5: Self-Advocacy – how to communicate with others about your health and what support you need
Week 6: Moving Forward
How to Book a Place
Individuals are eligible for Engage in ME workshops if they fulfill the following criteria:
- aged 18 years or over
- from BAMER (Black Asian Minority Ethnic and Refugee) communities
- live in the London Borough of Lewisham or are registered with a GP in Lewisham
- experiencing low to moderate level mental health difficulties as their main health issue
- able to attend the group online via Zoom from their phone or laptop.
Individuals meeting the criteria above and accessing primary or secondary care can contact Engage in ME directly to book a place. The Engage in ME team will be happy to help the participants to set up Zoom and to use it for the sessions if they are not familiar with it.
GPs and Other Professionals
GPs and other professionals can refer people who meet the criteria above to Engage in ME by downloading, completing and returning a referral form.
Eleanora (Wednesdays and Thursdays)