Engage in ME
Engage in ME provides mental health and wellbeing support groups for adults from Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and Refugee (BAMER) communities in the London borough of Lewisham.
Engage in ME provides mental health and wellbeing support groups to adults from Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and Refugee (BAMER) communities in Lewisham, helping participants to:
- Learn how to manage their own mental health and wellbeing, with a specific current focus on the psychological and emotional needs raised by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Find out about and access other relevant, local online support services.
- Meet, learn and share with other people experiencing mental health difficulties in a welcoming and understanding place.
- Discuss their cultural needs and how services can support them better.
The groups are for people experiencing low to moderate mental health difficulties.
We are always looking to recruit new participants.
"I found an extremely safe haven, where I can remove the mask and truly be me without any judgement."
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, our Engage in ME programme will be running online until further notice.
Engage in ME sessions
Engage in ME Online sessions are held weekly, for six weeks at a time, via Zoom. Each weekly session lasts an hour-and-a-half.
Some sessions include guest speakers from other local mental health and wellbeing support services.
Week 1: Introduction and focus on wellbeing
Week 2: Cultural Identity and wellbeing
Week 3: Understanding your mental health
Week 4: Self-care
Week 5: Self-advocacy – how to communicate with others about your health and the support you need
Week 6: Moving forward – Introduction to Engage in ME Open Mind group.
Once participants have completed the six-week workshops, they will be offered the opportunity to join the Engage in ME Open Mind group, which is an ongoing BAMER Peer Support Group. It’s a space to share needs and worries, alongside resources, and reflect on ways we can support ourselves and each other in this challenging time.
“The sessions has provided a much needed link to my peers during this time.”
In order to join the Engage in Me programme, you should meet the following criteria:
- Aged 18 years or over.
- Come from a BAMER (Black Asian Minority Ethnic and Refugee) community.
- Live in the London Borough of Lewisham or are registered with a GP in Lewisham.
- Experiencing low to moderate level mental health difficulties as your main health issue.
- Able to attend the group online via Zoom from your phone or laptop.
Individuals meeting the criteria above and accessing primary or secondary care can contact Engage in ME directly via the details below to book a place. The Engage in ME team is happy to help participants set up Zoom and use it for the sessions if you are not familiar with it.
GPs and other professionals
GPs and other professionals can refer people who meet the criteria above to Engage in ME by downloading, completing and returning the referral form (below).