South East London Suicide Bereavement Service
The South East London Suicide Bereavement Service supports people who have lost someone to suicide across the boroughs of Bexley, Bromley, Greenwich, Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark.
We work with people who live in these boroughs and those whose loved one lived or died in these boroughs. We are available for people of all ages, including children and young people.
The Suicide Bereavement Service is here to help you in the aftermath of loss, offering one-to-one practical and emotional support which is built around your needs. We run support groups where you can connect with other people bereaved by suicide, and offer trauma-informed bereavement counselling. We will also signpost you to other services that may be of benefit, depending on your needs.
Our support team includes Suicide Bereavement Support Workers, Bereavement Counsellors and Community Chaplains, who work with people of all faiths and none. We work closely with local community organisations and have a focus on specific groups, including children and young people and BAME communities.
The Suicide Bereavement Service was launched in July 2021 and is funded by NHS England through South East London Clinical Commissioning Group. It is delivered as a partnership between Mind in South East London and South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust.
Things we can support you with include:
- Helping sort through personal effects of the person who died.
- Dealing with the affairs of the person who died, such as bills and bank accounts.
- Support with registering the death and planning a funeral.
- Offering information and resources during possible inquest into the death.
- Support with any changes in your personal circumstances, such as finance or housing.
- Listening and understanding responses to grief.
- Support and advice in breaking the news to other people.
- Information and advice on managing your own wellbeing.
- Check-ins at significant anniversaries, such as the person’s birthday or the day they died.
- Opportunity to connect with others who can relate to your experience.