Carers’ workshops operate in Bromley, Lewisham and Greenwich and are FREE for carers to attend. They are delivered in 3 x 3 hour workshops:
Workshop 1: Understanding dementia – including benefits and support.
- A brief overview of benefits and support is outlined to ensure all participants are aware of their entitlements.
- Understanding dementia its signs and symptoms.
- Seeing the person first, the impact of stereotyping on direct care.
- How the memory works.
Workshop 2: The experience of dementia and the impact on the person.
- What it might feel like to live with dementia.
- The impact of dementia on the brain and behaviour.
- The impact of dementia on our ability to logic and reason.
Workshop 3: Meeting the emotional needs of the person with dementia.
- Understanding our own needs in relationship to the person living with dementia.
- Understanding how what the person says is not always what they mean.
- Developing communication strategies to respond to emotional needs.